22 September 2017

Masks ~ Family

Greetings Dear Reader,

It should be that the one place where one could go bare-face and without pretense is with family.  Too often, however, it is the place that is a constant masquerade.  It is the most dangerous ground we tread.

I was once traveling with a couple who are dear friends to have dinner with the parents of the young lady.  All the way there she instructed me on what was the right behaviour amongst her family.  I had seen this same wonderful person on many occasion apply her makeup whilst driving.  In this instance, she was constructing a mask for me that was suitable for her family.

The experience was entertaining for me but also very sad.  I watched an entire family spend an evening acting out parts assigned them by years of living in a household devoid of the freedom to be the person he or she is when away.  Not being inclined to this kind of theatre I chose a strategy of silence. 

I became good friends with the young lady’s siblings.  I once had a very real conversation with her oldest sister who commented, “We do not show our true selves to each other. We act our part and pay a lot of money for therapy.”

Home and family should be the place where who you are is welcome no matter who you are.  I must create space where my family can speak their minds.  Yes, it must be done with love and kindness.  Home must be at all costs a harbor for our true selves that is safe from the storm that is the world.

I must create a harbor for my family and not a place of fear and pretense.  It must be a place where the love of Christ is the rule and all things are viewed through the ideas of forgiveness and reconciliation.  It is never too late to create this space for others.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment