19 September 2017

Masks ~ Social Media

Greetings Dear Reader,

I am weary today so I am going to grab some low-hanging fruit here.  This does not mean that I am not serious or committed.  It is just that I am going to point out a bit of the obvious. 

Recently someone with whom I am very close posted a concern on his social media page requesting prayer support from his friends.  One of those “friends” proceeded to suggest that he was not doing enough for himself and launched a verbal argument that distracted from the honest need.

Too often we use the mask of social media to appear other than we are.  I am not being hypocritical.  I acknowledge that I use a nom-de-plum but I do not use this persona to attack anyone or pretend that I am other than I am.  My purpose in doing this is that I do not desire to be famous or infamous.  I desire to be a teller of tales and transparent follower of Jesus. 

Many, however, use the relative anonymity of social media to attack others, lie about their lives, and hide the truth of their nefarious deeds.  It is too easy to build a mask from behind which we can snipe and snarl.  As I said last week when discussing Minced Words, we forget that what we say has great power.  My improperly used words have done much more damage than my improper actions.

We use our social media to say hateful and hurtful things thinking that we can do so free of consequence.  There is always accountability for what we say.  Worse, we use it to manipulate and deceive others.   We exact control from behind the mask of our fake profiles and inflated statuses.  We seek attention and favor instead of being open and honest about our true status.

As a Christ follower, I am supposed to be transparent.  I am required to live with the understanding that I will give an account for “every idle word.”  Even if you do not share my faith Dear Reader, it is vital that you allow those of us who care about you to see the unmasked you.  It is the only way we can learn to love you for who you really are.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment