04 September 2017

It Was an Accident ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently I was privileged to have a very level headed and intelligent discussion with a friend and colleague about the nature of the universe.  I think about this much more often than I talk about it.  Please remember a few things as your peruse this Dear Reader:  I do believe in intelligent design and an Intelligent Designer.  I do value and validate honest science.  I believe that the two can exist in harmony without contradiction.  I am certain that at times people of faith are dishonest in order to hold onto something that they fear they do not have an answer to or can explain.

Our discussion triggered my desire to update my knowledge and understanding of the newest science concerning our universe.  Parried with that have been several media events that posed the same topics and captured my interest.  Since I wish to be sure that I have a reason for the things I believe I want to understand what others are thinking as well.  As I wrote some weeks earlier I do not think that one can explicitly prove the existence of a Designer without said Designer weighing in on the matter.  He does not because he requires faith.

This is not a copout.  I am not doing to simply say that you have to have faith because we cannot explain something.   That is not honest and complete.  We cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.  My aforementioned friend did not like the word faith because it carries import that he does not like.  In discussions about science we still cannot get away from the term “believe.”   Everything, if we hold true requires a measure of belief. 

We use terms like the “preponderance of evidence” or “the current thinking” to say that we have faith that this or that thing is true.  I understand the need to avoid the word faith but it is still faith.  It is still belief.  I think this is a very seminal understanding that we must embrace when we ponder the existence of the universe.  We believe…something.

I am going to walk through some things that I am considering relative to this set of questions.  I am in awe of the things we are discovering in our cosmos.  I find that it all is beautiful, amazing, and worthy of study.  I also find it confounding that others can look at it and be convinced that it is all an accident.  Shall we journey together on this for a bit Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment