09 October 2017

42-Truths ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

In the novel A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy the number 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  Sometimes people speak things that echo as universal truths.  They seem to become axiomatic in the moment of their uttering. 

A few days ago, my friend Lori commented on a question another friend had posted.  He asked if one should put Duck Sauce on a taco.  Her response was “Duck Sauce is magic and transforms all it touches.”  I see this as a 42 Truth.  This is not because its literally true.  I would not put Duck Sauce on my key lime pie.  Duck Sauce, does, however, transform everything.   It changes the taste.   That is transformation.

What this 42-truth did yield is an understanding that one can sauce one’s tacos cross-culturally.  I have since tried sweet chili, barbecue, and honey mustard on my tacos.  I would advise against the honey mustard.   

The point is that we get into habits that seem to be truths.  They may be preferences, practices, and patterns that we are used to.   We treat them as truths and even try to impose them on others. 

I must learn to differentiate between 42-truths and habits or preferences.  I am going to spend some time on this so that I reinforce the habit of adhering to truths that matter.  Your company in this part of the journey is valued highly.  Any comments or questions are valued as well.  Now Dear  Reader, could you pass us the Siracha?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment