30 October 2017

Second Thoughts – Tricks and Treats

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I prepare to celebrate Halloween with my beloved Grandsons, I submit for your enjoyment and excerpt from Sheetrock on the Road.  Please note that this is taken completely from the book without editing.  I have included the footnotes for this chapter as well.  If you like feel free to buy a copy at the provided link.  

Tricks and Treats 

 Sometimes there are tricks that work and you get more treats.  Over most of America October heralds falling leaves, crisp winds, and the anticipation of Halloween.  In our home, it usually meant that there was much planning and anticipation.  The costume was carefully planned.  The trick-or-treat route was precisely planned to avoid streets that my mother thought unsafe.  A large bowl of candy was carefully set out for those who thought our street safe enough.  Everything was planned to the last detail, for my sister who was four years my junior and the princess of the family.  Halloween for me in the eyes of my mother was an afterthought. 

I do not wish to paint a picture of her as favoring my sister.  She completed that masterpiece years ago.  For me, surviving Halloween during my sister’s cute years was an act of careful strategizing and planning.  A chess game played out each year of my young trick-or-treat life determined just how much of my hard-earned booty I actually kept long enough to eat.  You see, for me, until I realized the spiritual aspect of All Hallows Eve and All Saints Day, the purpose of Halloween had always been the candy.  Acquiring and keeping candy meant preparation, innovation, and careful execution. 

Obstacles to this objective were plenteous and treacherous.  My adversary possessed experience and cunning.  Each year three goals presented themselves with equal quantities of opportunity and danger.  How much of the candy intended for delivery to those trick-or-treaters arriving at our door could I liberate for myself?  How much of my sister’s candy could I liberate from her possession through persuasion, coercion, or outright theft?  How much of my own trick-or-treat candy could I keep away from the black hole of the chocolate universe that was my mother? 

The candy purchased for trick-or-treaters was always purchased two or three times.  This advanced my opportunity significantly.  The candy purchased to give away was always chocolate the first couple of times.  It went like this.  About two weeks before Halloween[1], whilst grocery shopping for bread and milk, my mother would spot the candy display with specially packaged chocolates for trick-or-treaters.  She would buy a bag for them and a bag for the black hole.  She always claimed that both were for the trick-or-treaters but I knew better.  Playing along with the delusion worked to my advantage.  The first candy acquisition endeavor was a reconnaissance mission.  The objective, find the open bag my mother had stashed and pilfer enough candy to give me the upper hand but not so much that she would think she had not already eaten it. 

Her hiding places were excellent.  One year it was in a basket under two weeks’ worth of old newspapers.  Fortunately, I had two or three hours to search between my arrival home from school and hers from work.  She often sequestered the candy in her room or in a closet.  It was always within easy reach for her and just out of mine.  She also set traps.  I became and expert at moving things and putting them back and removing stepladder imprints from the carpet.  Occasionally she would feel rather than notice the depletion of her supply.  Inquiries were impossible, as they would reveal that she was eating the candy.  Instead, she would relocate the candy. 

Eventually she would hide and open the other bag and the cycle renewed itself.  I became an expert at finding her stash and pilfering most of it.  I never ate the pilfered candy.  It had another purpose altogether.

The depletion of the original candy led to the second or sometimes third trip to buy candy.  On occasions when I was present for the second purchase, I often inquired as to the fate of the previously purchased chocolates.  Answers included creative explanations such as, “The news said there will be record trick-or-treaters this year.”  She also used, “I gave the candy away to the needy.”  The best was when she would say that she had lost it.  How do you lose candy when you are eating it every day?  Invariably my questions led to the ultimate answer, “Don’t bother me right now, I am trying to concentrate.”             

My second objective, liberating as much of my sister’s candy as possible, began early in the Halloween season.  I had power over her and I used it.  I would get one of my Blue Horse® tablets and begin a tally.[2]  Every time my sister broke a rule, real or imagined, I would write it down.  The deal was that she had to give me a piece of candy out of her bag for each infraction and I would cross the infractions off her list.  It was easy for me to persuade mom to let me take little sister trick-or-treating.[3]  On the way home, she paid up in chocolate for such crimes as petting the cat too long, yawing at lunchtime, and taking too long for a wheedle-wee.  After she paid up it was time to stop her tears and invoke her undying gratitude.  So as to not invoke suspicion from mother, I would point out to my sister that I had a lot more candy than she did.  I would then give her all the cinnamon hard candy and butterscotch.  It was years before it occurred to her that she was being scammed.  It is no wonder it took years for us to get back to being nice to each other.

After trick-or-treating, it was time to accomplish my final mission in securing that my gathered candy remained mine.  The arrival home always posed the most danger to my carefully administered plan.  My mother’s beliefs about Halloween were not at all equal to my worldview.  I truly believed that it was a time to dress funny, go out after dark, and get all the candy possible.  She believed it was the national holiday for all who would poison children.  She also viewed it as her sole duty to protect us from razor blades sequestered in apples[4] and dental destruction from candy.

In her mind, every piece of fruit required inspection for jagged glass, needle marks, and razor blades.  The person on our street who gave out fruit for Halloween was Mrs. Bush.  She ran the local nursery school and was the kindest woman ever.  She hired me to rake her yard, weed her garden, and in November, wash the egg and rotten fruit off her front door.  My mother’s fruit inspection was really a ruse to begin pilfering my chocolate candy.

The dental angle was the second prong of her attack.  She explained the reduction in the amount of candy we were allowed to retain as her part in preserving our teeth.  The fact that she took all the soft chewy candy and left all the hard candy served to belie her actual agenda.  This reminds me that the best candy on our street was from Dr. Haywood, a dentist.  He passed out loads of good candy and his business card.  He was a smart guy.  Unfortunately, my mom used the business card as a reinforcement of her arguments about the candy.  This is where the third part of my plan required expert execution.

The moment we arrived back at the house, I hurried to the bathroom claiming an urgent need to widdly-wee.  The dancing and jumping around really helped.  Above my mother’s protests I took my candy bag with me.  I knew that she imagined every germ known to man would work its way into the candy in the three minutes it took for me to accomplish my task.  Her phobia fed my scheme.  With the sound of the vent fan covering my own sounds, I took the candy I had pilfered from my mother’s supply from its hiding place under the sink.  Quickly, to avoid suspicion, I switched my good Halloween candy with the pilfered candy.  I would select a few of the low-end good items to leave in my bag as a way to put mom off the scent of something being amiss.  I had to because I think my mother timed my bathroom visits.  

Stuffing the new candy under the cabinet behind the collection of basins and buckets, I flushed the toilet, feigned washing my hands, and exited, candy bag in tow.
After the required six-minute lecture on the danger of food crossing the threshold into a germ-infested zone like the bathroom, the candy inspection began.  My mom pilfered back all the chocolate I had stolen over the previous two weeks and a few extras that I had garnered in my neighborhood rounds.  Her explanation was that these were soft candies and that anyone could have injected them with all kinds of dangerous drugs and poisons.  That she ate some as she explained this assured me that she was either immune to poison or this was a feint. 

She took nothing from my sister giving my sister the false feeling of superiority at not losing any of her haul.  I acted out the proper level of insult and protested just enough to seem sincere but no so much as to get me punished.  Mom relegated the remaining candy to the public bowl so that the entire household could share it.  This meant that it was no longer mine and that I needed permission, which I could not get, to eat it.

Later that night, after everyone else slept I crept into the bathroom, quietly retrieved my hidden candy, and slipped back into my bedroom.  I indulged in a few miniature candy bars and hid the rest in the back of my closet behind the toy box.  Moderation would allow me to enjoy my stash until Christmas.  Halloween was a success.  Carefully planned tricks garnered me a bountiful supply of treats.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)






[1] In those days, stores started selling Halloween stuff in mid-October.  Now you can buy the non-perishable items in August.  I get catalogs for Halloween stuff in the mail as early as June.  My wife, Avalon views Halloween as the pinnacle of holidays.  She decorates in September, plans elaborate macabre parties, and spreads ghoulish joy throughout the land.  In order to sell more stuff, retailers jump the gun on all holidays and the advertising begins earlier each year.  I think that if we have to endure soul cake day adds during the equinox that we should get extra paid time off from work for both.

[2] For the uninitiated, Blue Horse® writing tablets were those available for sale at the school store each morning for a nickel.  The school always ran out of them.  I always bought extras to sell for a dime.  I always sold lots of them.  Fear entrepreneurial second graders.     

[3] Another way I increased my candy haul was by telling the neighbors that my mom ate my candy when I got home.  More often than not this resulted in people giving me double candy and my mother getting the evil eye from most of the neighborhood until Christmas.

[4] Ok, I was unsure whether to mention this or not, but I will.  Do not give kids apples and oranges and donations to charity in their name for trick-or-treat.  They will not eat the fruit.  They will use it to con their younger siblings out of good candy.  If they do not have younger siblings they will wait until it rots and throw it at your house.  If you give trick-or-treaters little pieces of paper explaining how you have donated money to a charity in their name for Halloween it gets worse.  They will go back to the people who gave them apples and oranges to get extra.  They will let it rot until it really stinks, add some old eggs from last Easter, and pelt you, your house, your car, and your children until you reek.  Buy some good candy and give it to the kids.  It is for your own safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment