01 November 2013

Preparing for Advent – All Saints Day

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I ponder the day before me I find that I am keenly aware of what has come before me.  My dear friend Dr. Williams introduces his literature classes by explaining that when we read good literature we stand on the shoulders of those who have come before us so that we can see a little further.

This is how I think of All Saints Day.  From the original followers of Christ to now many have sacrificed so much for the furtherance of the Gospel.  There have been many instances where those claiming to follow Christ have abandoned his principles for their own purposes.  Even through those times, however, there have been those who have woven a constant thread of faith and following. 

I cannot prepare properly to celebrate the Advent of Christ without remembering all that has been given so that I can do so freely.  When I accepted Christ I entered into a part of the journey filled with fellow travelers who have blazed the trail for me at great cost. I must not neglect that so many have suffered and died to give me the freedom to follow Christ publicly.  I must not forget that in other parts of the world it can still me death to acknowledge Jesus.

Another aspect of this day for me is that I hate the division that exists within the Church.  The call is to community.  The call is to oneness in Christ.   Instead we divide over how to celebrate, worship, and follow.  There is room in Christ of infinite diversity.  When we live differently from this truth we create schisms that hinder the living out of the Gospel.

Today I honor all saints.  I pay homage to those who have come before me and to my contemporaries.  It is enough that you follow.  It is enough that you have faith no matter how great or small.  None of us travels alone Dear Reader.  It is enough to know that your journey with me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment