19 October 2014

Come as You Are – Let Rescue Begin

Greetings Dear Reader,

I spent some of my early life working as a beach lifeguard.  I would watch from my lonely wooden tower as people swam, surfed, and played.  I was always looking for the danger.  I had to ignore everything else and be aware of the constant potential disaster lurking on the edge of the fun.

In our training we were taught over and over to be wary of those who clamped on to us when we approached them for rescue.  We were taught how to avoid and escape.  If we were not careful both the victim and the lifeguard could die.  We were taught to back off until the person was ready for rescue.

All disasters require rescue efforts.  The primary things we do when disaster strikes is to attempt to save the lives impacted by the event.  We leave behind our care for buildings, cars, and possessions to save lives. 

When a house catches fire the family gathers on the street and counts that each member is present.  They do not begin to mourn the loss of home until they are assured they have not lost each other.  Firemen run into burning buildings at risk of their lives to save the lives of those trapped in the building. 

We will die to save others.  We will do whatever it takes to rescue others.  We are urgent for rescue to begin when disaster strikes.  Our Father is not different.  We need rescue. We need to be saved from the shattered mess we have made of the world.  We burn it down around us and curse at our rescuer. 

I wonder just how often I refuse rescue from my pain and sorrow when it is offered.  Look at how often we hold on to pain, bitterness, and sin when we are offered freedom and rescue from it.  We continue to swallow the placebo knowing that we can taste of grace and mercy if we will allow it.

I do not even need to dress properly to be taken out of the fire.  I can be rescued just as I am.  I need to allow it.  I need to realize that I cannot make it happen but that I must let it happen.  I am helpless to do it on my own.  That is why it is by grace, through faith that I am saved.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



No comments:

Post a Comment