13 October 2014

Come as You Are – The Pain is so Deep

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have a dear friend who has suffered with deep depression as long as I have known her. I have seen her feel pain when things felt good.  I have seen her hurt because others were laughing.   I cannot imagine the level of torment this involves for her.  I know this malady is real and life consuming.

It takes only a moment for me to recall and catalog the deepest hurts in my life.  The pain and haunting memories can consume me in an instant.  The door to despair is always open.  I have lost a sister and a daughter.  I have broken faith and had it broken.  I have been abused. 

I know others whom I love that have had unspeakable things done to them.  They too struggle with the pain and sorrow that lurks constantly on the edge of consciousness.   The hurt sometimes overtakes and overwhelms. 

In all of the torment is the same.  We seek solace from the emotional wounds of the past and choose paths to alleviate the pain.  I have tried drugs and money to quell the hurt.  I have seen others try things that give pleasure or pain to drown out the echoes of the past pain.  In my life the only thing that quiets my soul is Christ.

No matter how ugly or painful my actions Christ promises rest from the weariness of carrying my pain.  He assures me of freedom from guilt and shame.  He does not require me to get better first.  He asks me to trust him. He asks me to let him begin the healing process.  He promises that there is no hurt he cannot heal.

No matter how much I hurt, if I choose to follow there will be healing.  All I have to do is follow and if necessary let Christ carry me.  It is when I do not do this that things are too heavy, too difficult, and too painful.  When my arms are weary and my heart too damaged Christ promises to carry me.  He will do the same for us all if we let him.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment