02 October 2014

That’s not how it works – Straining at Gnats

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that everyone does not agree that Jesus has siblings.  I happen to think it is obvious and that one must put the biblical record through some serious manipulation to say otherwise.  One of those siblings, James had this to say about following Christ:   “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

We have put so many constructs around following Christ that I think Christ gets lost in the construct.  Recently I was discussing aspects of practice within the faith and a friend was trying to convince me that my long hair and beard are a poor example of what a Christ follower should look like.  This friend also believes that woman should not wear pants. 

I have no intention of accepting his views on practice.  I am also not intending to forsake his friendship.  I do, however, feel that there are much more important things involved in following Christ.  Telling people how to look and dress carries little value when there are hungry people in the world. 

There are only a few times when Jesus is harsh with others.  Most often it is with the Pharisees who were supposed to know and protect the law under which the people lived.  Jesus pointed out that they did things like taking widows houses, ignored the important aspects of the law, and strained at gnats whilst swallowing camels.  Telling others you have to do things exactly like I do ignores the truth that the Gospel is a practice in accepting others where they are. 

Saying how one should dress, practice, and eat is not how it works.  Pushes others to conform to my way of following ignores that Christ has his own call for everyone.  If I major on the minors I will miss the majors.  It does not work if I strain out the gnats and swallow the camels.

If I have any hope of successfully following Christ then I must not presume to tell anyone else how to live.  I must care for the things that matter and let the rest sort itself out.  I have too many of my own issues to align with Christ to hope that I can tell anyone else how to live.

I must follow.  I must be attached to Christ and not presume to think I have it figured out.  I have to focus on my own next step closely enough that I do not miss Christ is the moment.  Whether it be work, leisure, or travel every moment belongs to Christ and the only way it works is if I search for him in each one.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment