09 October 2014

What are You Thinking? – Hatred

Greetings Dear Reader,

There is simply no room for hatred of people.  God excludes that when he commands us to love everyone: our neighbors, our family, and our enemies.  That really leaves no one left to hate. 

Where we fail is in how we think about others.  Allowing a moment of anger or envy to root can be the beginning of hatred.  Failing to forgive immediately can make us bitter and vengeful.  It is in that moment that we hold on to the wrong done to us that we begin the journey toward hatred. 

Another aspect of this is failing to separate people from issues.  I may hate child abuse.  I may not hate the abuser.  It seems wrong to so much of me but I ask you to refer back to our discussion on categorizing the severity of sin.  It does not matter what someone else has done.  We need to see people in light of their need for Christ.  We need to see them in light of our own need for forgiveness.

I need to think of others in light of how Christ sees them.  I need to think of their need for him, their practical needs, and my obligation to love them.  Whether it is family, a friend, or the clerk at the gas station I must be honest and loving to others.  That does not mean I ever have to let wrongs slip by when they damage others.  I just must not allow any hatred, bitterness, or mean spiritedness to take root.

I must forgive but I do not have to allow wrongs to be repeated.  I must love but do not have to be buddies with everyone.  I must think well.  I must see the needs of others and meet them when I can.  No one needs to be hated.  I must think loving thoughts and by God’s grace I will.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment