25 October 2014

Pain Management or A Cure

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I have aged I have acquired some lasting physical damage along the journey.  I do not with this to sound like a complaint but rather background.  About five years ago I took a fall on the ice and dislocated a shoulder.  It still hurts every day.  Many years ago one of my fingers was bent the wrong way and I feel a stiffness settling into it that is permanent.  Last Spring I took a spill and did some damage to my knee.  It is stiff and a bit painful every morning.

There is no equitable cure for these pains.  Those chronic pains are mine now and I manage them well enough.  Heat helps the shoulder most days.  The knee just needs a little exercise in the mornings.  Wearing good shoes helps too.  The finger just needs a little stretching after too much typing.  Reaching for the letter “Y” can be difficult. 

If for some reason I were offered a cure for them all that would not endanger my health in another way I would take it.  I manage the pain well enough without drugs but if there were a cure I would embrace it.  I refuse to become one of those old people who defines life through the pains and issues of growing older.

I wonder why then to I sometimes manage my sin instead of taking the cure of faith and following.  I will try to mitigate the guilt and shame of my wrongs through rationalization and justification.  Instead I could embrace the truth and be freed from the wrong by God’s grace.  Since every sin is a choice, why do I remain in the pain of that sin?  Why do I refuse sometimes to see the way out and take it?

There is grace sufficient for all my sin.  There is mercy and forgiveness in abundance.  There is deeper joy and ease of following as I accept that there is a cure for my spiritual pains.  I need only avail myself of the opportunity.  I need to not manage the pain and accept the healing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment