25 August 2015

The Road – Revisiting an Old Map

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have spoken at length of the maps I use on my journey.  When on roads such as this one a map is a vital treasure.  I have traveled the paths suggested on this map before with great success.  As I reset my vision of this journey I look to it for a haunt or hollow that will provide a shorter path to closer following.

The map of which I speak is Paul’s letter to the Romans.  I have begun a deep dive into this treatise on what it means to follow Christ wholly.   The Roman road has long been a clear path to understanding who Christ is, what it means to find salvation in him, and how to follow him. 

A line by line reading and analysis will take the better part of a year.  It may take more.  These words that are almost two centuries old possess much truth.  They are worth the time it takes to process and apply them to the modern world, the current state of faith, and my life.

I am endeavoring to read through the text without presupposed filters.  It is working so far.  I will follow the map and see where it leads.  It reminds me that the path home is one that everyone needs.  It reminds me that my faith is what sustains me on the journey. 

The road goes ever on and on.   There is no way to get from here to the clearing at the end without some guidance.  At some point I will share more of my mapping with you Dear Reader.  For now I challenge you to give Paul’s letter an honest unfiltered read.  You may find a few shortcuts for your own journey.

The Road – Sweet Comfort Band

I'm livin' it out on the road
And I've got so far to go
The one that I love is at home
And she is a part of me
I stare at the road 'til my eyes turn red
The book on my lap
And the thought in my head of you

Somethin' keeps drivin' me on
When I just don't want to go
I carry this feelin' inside
That nobody want to know
So why would you choose to be using me
I've never been quite what they want to see from you

The road is so demanding, Lord
I can't give more than I have
I know how much I need your love
I can't give more than you've given me

And I stand in some corner backstage
And eat what's not good for me
I sleep in another hotel
With the radio on
And I dream of my home where I belong
And I didn't just travel this far for a song or two
But I'll do it for you

The road is so demanding, Lord
I can't give more than I have
I know how much I need your love
I can't give more than you've given me

Well I know that the number one thing
Is spending my time with you
And this road gives me plenty of time
To hear what you have to say
Sometimes you don't speak a word at all
But here I am waiting to answer your call to me
And I hope you can see
I'm out on the road.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment