02 November 2012

All Souls Day – Every-man


All Souls Day – Every-man

Greetings Dear Reader,

I grew up being taught that there are souls who are not yet in the right attunement to God and who need my prayers to benefit from the atonement.  I do not believe that the Bible teaches this is the way things are.  I do believe that there is a place for a day to consider all souls.

For me November is a month to ponder the things for which I am thankful as a preparation for the Advent season.  Today I think of the souls that need what I have so much.  More importantly I consider how I can show the value of Christ is the way I live my life. 

Many of you know that one of my favorite stories is Dickens’ A Christmas Carol.  The profound nature of this story follows me most of the year.  In the moment of import when Ebeneezer has is interview with Marley’s shade the ghost injects:

Houndsditch by Gustave Dore
“Business!" cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again.  "Mankind was my business.  The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.  The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"

I stand with Jacob Marley to declare that this is true.  Mankind is my business.  The common welfare is my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence are all my business.   On this day I consider that every soul matters and that how I behave toward others impacts the well being of that soul.  I am reminded that everyone matters and that I must live in such a way that everyone I encounter feels that way.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment