02 August 2013

A Prayer for my Enemies

Greetings Dear Reader,

First let me say that I do not choose to have any enemies.  I have them but only because they have chosen to be so.  I am commanded to love them.  I think that there are some very wicked people in the world.  I think that evil carries its own pain and punishment.  I also wish none of that on anyone.

We see rants all too often against those with whom we disagree.  We make enemies over political, social, and religious issues without considering that this hinders our capacity to love others.  As a Christ follower I am required to love everyone.  The fewer enemies I make the easier it is to love others.

So how do I practically live out loving those who have chosen to be my enemy?  Those I encounter in my daily life I treat with love, respect, and kindness.  There are very few of these.  For those who hate me just because of my beliefs or lifestyle:  I pray for them. 

The ways in which I do this are simple.  I pray that they will have their needs met.  I ask God to reveal himself to them in a way that lets them see the distance and how to cross it.  I pray that those who they encounter who are Christ followers will leave an indelible positive mark on them. 

I try not to collect enemies.  For those who consider me an enemy know that I love you and care about what happens to you. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment