12 April 2014

How Do You Do It? – Giving and Possessions

Greetings Dear Reader,

Mat 5:40-42 “If someone wants to sue you in order to take your shirt, let him have your coat too. If someone forces you to go one mile, go two miles with him.  Give to everyone who asks you for something. Don't turn anyone away who wants to borrow something from you.”

I have much more to say about this entire stream of thought.  After today, however, I am going to pause for Holy Week.  I may revisit it afterward if the muse allows or the Spirit leads.  At this moment I look to Christ’s words concerning possessions.

We are to be known for our generosity and hospitality.  The former I struggle with but with the latter I have little difficulty.  I love it when I can share my home with others.  I do not mind giving either but I know that I cling to too many things.

I am not rich but I have more than most.  Someone recently accused me of not giving to someone else in need.  My accuser had made assumptions based on false information and had concluded that I was wealthy and should use that wealth in a certain way.  In truth had I the resources I would have already acted on the issue.

It is madness to think I can cling to any possession or money.   So I work at being generous.  I work and not giving the minimum when I serve others.  I still fail.  I still need to open my heart and hand further.

After all, if I truly believe that my provision comes from God then I will not lack anything I need and can revel in what I do have as gifts entrusted to my use.  There is no better way to live.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/4/14 14:20

    Sometimes the greatest gift you can give is your most limited resource. Time.

    ReplyDelete