10 April 2014

How Do You Do It? – Yes and No

Greetings Dear Reader,

Mat 5:33 - 37 "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'Never break your oath, but give to the Lord what you swore in an oath to give him.' But I tell you don't swear an oath at all. Don't swear an oath by heaven, which is God's throne, or by the earth, which is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, which is the city of the great King.  And don't swear an oath by your head. After all, you cannot make one hair black or white.  Simply say yes or no. Anything more than that comes from the evil one.”

I do not know how often I heard my Grandfather say that “a man’s word is his bond.”   I have not always lived this.  It is one of the things that we must embrace if we are to follow Christ.  If I say I am going to do something then I need to do it.

So many of the great ills in our culture can be traced back to not doing what we say we will do.  I cannot count how many times a student makes an appointment with me and simply does not show.

I do not think we consider how invested others become in what we say we will do.  We offer our time or assistance to them.  They anticipate it.  We let them down.  This is a simple thing.  We do it on a larger scale as well.  All divorce is two people failing to let a yes be yes. 

We live in a complex world of passwords, contracts, and credit scores because we do not let our yes be yes and our now be no.  I do not always follow through.  I do, however, work hard to do so.  If I say yes I must follow through with all my heart.  If I make a promise I am bound by it.  Anything else is a failure to follow Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment