11 April 2014

Second Thoughts – Observations from a Three Year Old

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

We have the joy of having my Grandsons, Bastion and Orion over for the night.  They are two and three years old respectively.   Finding nutritious food that they will enjoy is sometimes a challenge.  I decided to take them to Pizza Ranch for dinner.  This is a family themed pizza place where little kids eat free. 

When I first mentioned the idea Orion observed that we should stay here with the toys and movies.  I countered with idea that we could get him plain pizza.  In Orion-speak a plain pizza is a cheese pizza.  He said we should stay here and have oatmeal pies and Moon Pies® for dinner.

I then mentioned that the Pizza Ranch had free ice cream.  The deal was then sealed.  We went to Pizza Ranch and made sure Orion got a plain pizza.  Bastion feasted on peperoni pizza, fish fingers, and waffle fries.  Orion insisted on having some Tickly Water which is caffeine-free diet coke. He explained, “We have to have Tickly Water to wash down the salt in the pizza and make room for the ice cream.”

When he had finished his pizza I acquired the promised ice cream.  He sat carefully spooning it in as fast as possible.  Bastion was also eating ice cream at a pace that would give most of us a deep case of brain freeze.  Orion observed, “Grandpa you take us to the best places.  Free ice cream is my favorite.”

When the ice cream was gone I asked Orion if he was finished.  He said, “We should go back to your house Grandpa and play with the toys.”

I asked if he wanted more ice cream first.  His response: “No Grandpa.  You have oat meal pies and lime yogurt at your house.   I know you will share that with me.”

At this point my Grandsons are winding down.  They are watching Toy Story and Orion is playing Pokémon with my Daughter Christmas.  I love how Orion already knows that I will share good things with him and he counts on that.

I reminded that Christ wants me to be confident that he will share good things with me.  He will take me to the best places and provide what I need and what I like to the extent that it is good for me.

All this brings to mind the most significant thing he has said in the last week.  Christmas had not seen him in a couple of weeks due to her work and travel schedule.  She asked him, “Orion what have you be up to.”

Without dropping a beat he responded, “Greatness.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment