01 April 2014

Things I Need to Own – Those in Need

Greetings Dear Reader,

I relate the following only to show how pertinent the things I ponder are to my daily life.  I teach a class intended to be an introduction to computer networking that is designed for true beginners.  It is the gateway class to the program in networking that turns those who survive into networking professionals.

Last night I was going through the part of the class where I unpack my laptop bag in front of the class explaining why each part of my portable network is there.  One of the things I pulled out was one of my USB hubs.  It is a cheap one and used only for convenience when I need to plug in several devices.  I also carry a powered one for when I need to actually set up the portable network.   

In this class I have students who are taking a great risk to obtain a new career.  This is not just going to college.  This is for some of them a last chance at a career versus just a job.  As I tossed the simple USB hub on the table a new student called out, “Can I have that one?”

I felt time slow in the room.  Of the twenty three students there this one had just asked the teacher to give him something.  I only had seconds before the moment became uncomfortable for the student.  In that moment I heard the words of Jesus in my head; “If anyone asks you for anything give it to them.”

I tossed him the USB hub and smiled.  I knew that I had at least two more USB hubs buried in my bag and that this was an opportunity to be good to a student.  He was shocked.  Please do not misunderstand.  I did nothing great or noble here.  Rather, I want to be that obedient all the time and I am not.

I must own that the church does not see the needs of others often enough.  The young man did not need that USB hub.  He did need to see kindness and generosity.  All of my students need to see that I care about them.  The need that most of them carry is that of being acknowledged at human beings of value and worth.  My primary job with them is sustaining hope.

If Christ followers do not cut the clinging tie to possessions they will not be seen as giving and generous.  A giving spirit should be one of the things that sets us apart.  It should be what we are known for.  No church needs a gold dome.  No edifice needs to be made of marble.  Nothing needs to be fancy when there are those in the community with needs much more vital. 

I need to own that it is not the government or social services that are responsible for the needs of our neighbors and enemies.  It is the church.  It is every local assembly of Christ followers.  It is me.  Jesus lies hidden in those moments of heartfelt giving.  He is not just there for those who receive but those who give as well.

Distressing Disguise – Michael Card

He is in the pain, He is in the need
He is in the poor, we are told to feed
Though He was rich, for us He became poor
How could He give so much, what was it for?

In His distressing disguise
He waits for us to surmise
That we rob our brothers by all that we own
And that's not the way He has shown

Every time a faithful servant serves
A brother that's in need
What happens at that moment is a miracle indeed
As they look to one another in an instant it is clear
Only Jesus is visible for they've both disappeared

He is in the hand that reaches out to give
He is in the touch that causes men to live
So speak with your life now as well as your tongue
Shelter the homeless, take care of the young

In His distressing disguise
He hopes that we'll realize
That when we take care of the poorest of them
We've really done it to Him
  
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/4/14 08:39

    I read your blog nearly every day. I am truly inspired by the way you think.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/4/14 09:09

    How do you practice this in relation to family? There are some in desperate need.

    ReplyDelete