06 April 2014

Things I Need to Own – Closing Thoughts: Dandelions

Greetings Dear Reader,

As the weather begins to slowly turn warm and the first hints of spring arrive I find myself thinking about things life strawberries and dandelions.  The strawberries are just coming up in my small garden.  I am just making plans for lawn care for the summer. 

Someone I used to know has a vast lawn to mow over the summer.  I noticed once when I was there that he has no dandelions in his yard.  When I asked him what he does to keep them out he told me he does nothing.  He like many others sees dandelions as a weed.

I pressed him further to learn how his yard as barren of the flower.  His explanation was elegantly simple.  He seeds his lawn with dozens of bags of the grass he wishes to grow.  He does not fight the dandelions he nurtures the grass.

Many other things need to be “owned” by those who follow Christ.   Over the centuries and contemporarily we have failed to live the Gospel in a way that draws others to Christ. There is something much more important to own.

I need to own that living and sharing the Gospel is my responsibility in every aspect of my life.  I cannot change the past.  I cannot convince every Christ follower to live the Gospel as it should be lived.

What I can do is bend all my will and effort to living the Gospel in every moment. I can assure that I do my best to treat every enemy, every friend, and every family member with love.  I can be kind to wrong numbers and rude waiters.  I can be honest with those who oppose me and treat them with respect.  I can own the failings of my brothers and sisters as well as mine.

The gospel is not me judging and condemning others into accepting my point of view.  It is living the rest of my life in such a way that people see Christ’s love for them in my actions.  It is showing them the love, hope, and joy available in the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment