16 September 2019

Pitching Against Time ~ Gopher Ball


Greetings Dear Reader,

For those who do not know this antiquated term, it is a pitch that his hit for a home run.  It is usually one wherein the pitch did not do as it was supposed to do.  It is a curveball that hangs or a fastball that is too low and outside.  I think that every pitcher remembers the first time he serves up a Gopher Ball.  Mine was a Slider that did not.

I struck out the next two batters but the overreaching guilt at having given up a homerun plagued me.  As I sat there whilst my team batted, it was lost on me that we rallied and scored three runs.  The coach saw my face and knew what I was doing.  He came over to me and said, “Nothing you can do in the entirety of the world can take back that pitch.  Every pitcher experiences this.  What you have to decide right now is if the pitches of the past or going to own or inform or infect your future pitching. 

I wish I could say that I shook it off and did great.  I did not.  I was rattled and overthought every pitch for the next inning.  I walked three and gave up to hits.  I recovered by the next time I was due to pitch but the lesson would not be as real had I not failed there.  Too often, we allow the past to infect our future instead of informing it.  We let that which we cannot ever change have sway over that which we are creating in the moment. 

When we stand there to pitch against time, we must realize that every moment is a chance to get it right.  It must be informed by our past successes and failures.  It must never be infected by them.  I cannot change anything I have done that is wrong.  I can only resolve to not do it again, love more deeply, and follow Christ more closely. 

As I sit with my fingers hovering above the keyboard, searching for the next words, I realize that I caress the nodes on the F and J keys much like I used to the seems on a baseball.  The comfort of the moment is that no one else decides what I will choose.  The call is mine to make.  I will either send out something quality or leave it hanging.  Every day I start with these moments of choosing to let the past inform but not infect my words, my day.  You can too Dear Reader.  If we work together to pitch against time in this way, the journey will be that much richer.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            

No comments:

Post a Comment