15 September 2019

Pitching Against Time ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

Before I lose you, this is not all about baseball.  Hang on whilst I get through a little bit of celebration and I will get to the point.  My beloved Atlanta Braves have clinched a playoff berth this year no matter what else happens.  In celebration, I have been watching baseball movies I love. 

The movie, For Love of the Game, is one of my favorites.  It includes a remarkable moment voiced by Vin Scully that I call Pitching Against Time.   You can see it in the link, but here is the text:

" …you get the feeling that Billy Chapel isn't pitching against left-handers, he isn't pitching against pinch hitters, he isn't pitching against the Yankees. He's pitching against time. He's pitching against the future, against age, and even when you think about his career, against ending. And tonight, I think he might be able to use that aching old arm one more time to push the sun back up in the sky and give us one more day of summer."

Last weekend I enjoyed watching the Braves win against the Nationals.  I have tracked their excellent season and remembered that we are all in the same place.  We are all pitching against time.  I am going to use baseball as the backdrop for some thoughts on that over the next few days.  As September turns its eyes to October, we see the chill in the northern air and the leaves begin to splendor as they catch fire. 

Amidst this will be the few teams that struggle to get to the World Series.  They will fight for their place on that real field of dreams that has no clock but still a finite set of opportunities.  We too have a finite set of opportunities.  We too have a limited journey.  Please walk with me as I try to pitch against time for a bit and perhaps find that the warmth of the Son can endure the coldest winter.  Your thoughts and questions are always welcome Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            

No comments:

Post a Comment