25 July 2013

The Names of God – יהוה, yehôvâh, Jehovah

Greetings Dear Reader,

The יהוה occurs 6528 in the Bible.  6412 times it is translated as “Lord”  and 108 times as “lord”.  Four times it is translated “god” and four times as “Jehovah”.  The name is first used in Genesis 2:4.  “This is the account of heaven and earth when they were created, at the time when the LORD God made earth and heaven.”  (Jehovah Elohim)  In Exodus 6:3 God explains to Moses “I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but I didn't make myself known to them by my name, Jehovah.”  I will get to the significance of this shortly.

In all literature concerning the Hebrew texts there is a common thread.  When searching for a definition of this name there is never a clear one.  Instead there is most often an explanation of the etymology of the word.  Names have meaning and power.  I will say this often during this cycle.  With that in mind what is it about this name that makes it so indefinable?

I think it is that we couple it with other things.  This God of the Bible is unique.  His name is singular in its meaning and rather he defines himself by additional things adjoined to the name.  An example would be Jehovah Shalom or The LORD of Perfect Peace.  I cannot dwell on this without pondering all the ways in which God uses his name to let us know him better.

Who God is must be understood by his attributes.  It must be conceived by the names and offices he holds because of who he is.  I will provide a link and the entire text later down the path but I wish to ponder here a portion of the sermon by the late S.M. Lockridge.  In this sermon he discusses who God is.  I cannot here project the energy with which the following is presented but I benefit from just reading the words.

Well my King,
His office is manifold.
His promise is sure
And His light is matchless.
His goodness is limitless.
His mercy is everlasting.
His love never changes.
His word is enough.
His grace is sufficient.
His reign is righteous.
And His yoke is easy, and his burden is light.
I wish I could describe Him to you, but He's indescribable -- Yes He is!  He is God! 
He's incomprehensible.
He's invincible.
He's irresistible.
I’m trying to tell you that the heaven of heavens cannot contain him
Yet alone a man explain him
Well, you can't get Him out of your mind.
You can't get Him off of your hands.
You can't out live Him, and you can't live without Him.

So what does this mean to me?  It is significant that God reveals himself by what he does.  He is Jehovah + something.  Well I cannot begin to properly follow God if I do not have at least a limited understanding of who he is.  I cannot know who he is unless I see his attributes in the light of his desire to have a relationship with me.  God is so much more than the harsh and hard judge that so many believe him to be.  I must seek to know him for who he is and not what others represent him to be.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. Richard Pastore25/7/13 23:34

    Very interesting post sir! I would also like to add. The four Hebrew letters for the name of God are known as the Tetragrammaton, "Tetra-" meaning "four". The Hebrew Tetragrammaton has also been interpreted as YHWH and transliterated to Yahweh. Another fascinating point is that God told Moses to tell Pharaoh that he was sent by "I Am".

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is Awsome and wonderful loving God

    ReplyDelete