01 July 2013

Issues I must address - Immigration

Greetings Dear Reader,

I feel that this issue has been so politicized that the compassion and love for others required of all Christ followers has been lost.  I realize that we are not under the law but a look at how the law intended Israel to treat foreigners in their land may give us a view of God’s heart on the matter.

Exodus 23:9 “Never oppress foreigners. You know what it’s like to be a foreigner because you were foreigners living in Egypt.

Leviticus 19:33-34 “Never mistreat a foreigner living in your land. Foreigners living among you will be like your own people. Love them as you love yourself, because you were foreigners living in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

We must ask the question as to what level we are to address the needs of foreigners.  I have heard many of my conservative brothers cite that illegal immigrants are breaking the law.  Whilst that may be an issue it does not mitigate our responsibility to them under a higher law.  Again I think that I must ask why the Church is not leading the way in seeing that those in need of safe harbor or that seek a better life are not coupled with those who are criminal.

We have too much not to demand that we be allowed to offer aid and comfort to those in need.  I have been at the center of the immigration issue for five years now on a personal level.  There is so little there for even those who seek a legal path to refuge.  Even working within the law there are obstacles and contradictions that make progress nearly impossible.

Even those willing to work hard and be honest earners are faced with road blocks, denials, and mistreatment.  They are dehumanized into cases, lotteries, and group policies.  The government may choose to deal with this dispassionately but Christ followers do not have the luxury. 

We are to love everyone.  We are to honor everyone.  We are to show compassion and generosity.  Everything I do must be in the shadow of the fact that Christ took me in freely.  How can I not treat others the same way?  I do not have an answer to the vast issue that immigration has become for us.  I do know that those who follow Christ can and need to do more.  As I work through the system I meet people who are honest and good that are caught up in the tide of a broken system.  Whether I wish it or not I am accountable for how I as a Christ follower interact with it.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment