04 July 2013

Independence Day 2013

Greetings Dear Reader,

Recently a friend and I were conversing about the needs of another friend.  The final thought he gave on the issue was that a man’s word is his bond.  He was right and his comment brought to full view a reminder of why I value this man so much.  He is veteran who lost a leg due to a roadside bomb.  He is also a gifted artist and intelligent loyal friend.

Thinking about him and his values reminded me just what today is about.  In juxtaposition with another recent incident I was reminded that freedom has both a price and comes with responsibilities.  We have rights guaranteed us by our system of government.  Those rights were obtained by the shedding of blood and are guarded by the same.  Those rights come with the responsibility to assure that everyone is given those rights equally.  Those rights come with the responsibility to be involved and assure that our government serves us and does not rule us.

As a follower of Christ I must obey the law and assure that all men (1) are treated equally under the law.  I must not allow my freedoms to be in opposition to my faith.  I must not violate the laws of God for the freedom to do as I please.  I must always recognize that people died so I can have picnics.  I must assure that I do not numb my heart toward the needs of those around me. 

Whilst I celebrate Independence Day I must not fail to pray for the three young brothers who are serving in the Army and whose mum has been so good to my family.  I must not fail to acknowledge the service Raven, my daughter-in-law has rendered and continues to render.  I must realize that until everyone is free to sleep in the peace that I sleep in every night that the responsibilities of my freedom have not been met.

Freedom is the opportunity to do good to others not the opportunity to take and soak in and keep.  It is the responsibility to defend the weak not act weak so I can get a free ride.  It I take anything from any government program that I can work for instead I am stealing resources that could be diverted to genuine need.  If I do not participate in the constant reformation and positive construction of my country’s government then I am ignoring the duty that goes with my rights.

Freedom has both a price tag and duty.  We are never independent of that.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

(1) Just a note about my use of the word “men” here.  I oppose most forms of political correctness in speech.  I especially find the idea of authorial intent important.  When I use a word it means what I intend it to mean.  It does not mean whatever someone else’s political agenda or sensibilities mean.  In this case the word :”man” means mankind, humans, and thus is an all-inclusive term.


No comments:

Post a Comment