09 July 2013

The Riddle – Don’t Miss Out?

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of my greatest regrets in life are lost moments with my Sons.  Because of choices I made I missed time with them that I would have rather had.  I cannot blame anyone else and I am sure this will haunt and shame me to my grave.

How is this related to The Riddle?  I think that all parents walk through a place of regret.  They make choices that at the moment they refuse to see will have life-long impact.  We need to be so careful how we treat each other.  We need to be sure that we do not live attitudes or have actions that teach our children things that will harm them.

Our children will live out the things we do whether we or they realize it.  They will modify our failings to fit their lives or they will create new failures of their own in reaction to avoiding ours.  I do not mean that my children are failures.  I am very proud of them.  What I do mean is that I can see in their choices some of the damage done by my wrong ones.

Having just had a wonderful evening with my children over the weekend I know that they love me and value me.  There is in my heart still the constant din of the ways in which I have failed them.  Part of the riddle for me is how to heal that damage.  It may be beyond me to do it.  It may be that the natural consequence of my choices is to live with that failure.  There is, however, always hope for healing, forgiveness, and reconciliation.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/7/13 10:48

    I truly empathize with you, as I too made that mistake with my children when I was a single parent. They never knew how very much I loved them and I hcan never make that up to them. As a result, they do not want my company.

    Your sons love you very much. I know. We all make mistakesy, big and little.

    ReplyDelete