15 February 2014

An Honest Boy

Greetings Dear Reader,

I frequently have great concern for the youth in our world.  As the world slips further away from common morals and values there is less example for them to follow.  I had some of that fear lessened last evening.

My Daughter Christmas and I were attending a game night at a local shop.  Neither of us have significant others to share Valentine’s Day with so we agreed to do this and it was fun.  There were about fifty other people there to spend their solitary Valentine’s Day gaming.  As a side note it troubled me that there were at least three young men there whose wives were at home alone.

About midway through the evening I was at the counter purchasing some gaming supplies I needed and was enjoying a particularly nerdy conversation with the proprietor.  A young man, I would estimate his age at twelve, tapped me on the shoulder.  He proffered a twenty dollar bill and said, “Excuse me sir but your dropped this.”

I quickly checked my cash to assure that he was correct and then smiled at him.  I took the money and thanked him.  He immediately started making excuses for why his honesty as if it were a flaw in his character.  I reassured him that I was thankful for his integrity.  I also put things in motion to reward him for it.

Throughout the remainder of the evening my spirit was lightened by the honesty of this young man.  I observed him and his small circle of socially awkward friends.  I am sure they receive little respect outside or their circle.  What I saw were half dozen young boys who are good to each other and those around them.

They are too loud and communicate in ways that most people will not understand.  They are also honest and intelligent.  I look forward to further interaction with them.  I hope to get the opportunity to show them Christ in a way that matters. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment