12 February 2014

Erosion – Charity

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I think of charity I do not mean the simple act of giving to the needs of others.  I am thinking of a more Dickensian definition that embraces a benevolent love of all humanity.  I am thinking of humanism that is not secular.

I find the erosion of benevolence for humankind to be the cause of many ills in the world.  The callousness that envelopes this erosion leads to the destruction of lives.  How is it that we tolerate the hunger, homelessness, and abuse of other humans?

It is this erosion of charity that causes the rise of things like homelessness and human trafficking.  I cannot end any of these things alone but I can do something.  I must always be aware of the needs of others.  I must not allow the massive need to overwhelm me and make me insensitive of it.

At one point I decided to do something about someone in need.  It worked.  When any human suffers we all suffer.  I am reminded of the end of Schindler’s List when Schindler ponders how many more lives he could have saved had he done this or that.  It is too easy for us to be satisfied with what we have done.

Charity is not a feeling but an action.  It is doing what must be done to insure that others have common necessities.  It is paying the price to protect the humanity and dignity of others.  I must be aware of this and seek opportunity to show charity to others.  If I allow it to erode then I contribute to the horrors caused by its absence.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment