13 February 2014

Erosion – Respect

Greetings Dear Reader,

Some weeks ago I was shopping in a local store.  Three young men were walking through the aisles.  One of them had headphones in his ears and was singing along with his music.  He had a decent voice but the language of the song was more expletive than poetry. 

I was with a young lady and I asked the young man to stop using that language in public.  His response was to tell me that he had freedom of speech and could say whatever the f*** he wanted.  I responded by suggesting that we ask the store manager if that were true.  One of his friends stepped in and politely pointed out that it was improper to be using that language in public.

As they were walking away I heard the friend who had intervened say, “You have got to learn to respect people.  You will get us all in trouble if you do not.”

I often wonder what has happened to the idea of respect in our culture.  It has changed vastly.  It used to be that people showed respect.  It used to be that actions and honor commanded it.  Now people insist that it cannot be granted but must be earned.  People demand it instead of humbly accepting it.  People lose respect for others and treat them disrespectfully.

As someone who cares about being respectful to others it burdens me that this aspect of our social interaction has eroded so vastly.  The lack of respect for people grows in so many areas.  It used to be that we did not attack people even when we disagreed with them.  I was taught to disagree with others through respect and humility.

So much of what we do to congress with each other depends on the use of respect.  As it erodes society follows.  I must show respect if I hope to follow Christ well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment