20 February 2014

On America – Care for Neighbors

Greetings Dear Reader,

We have a wonderful neighbor who is in his eighties.  He is kind and very knowledgeable about local history.  He is a veteran.  He has helped us in some situations where we needed help.  He has been to our house a few times and my Daughter Christmas has helped him with his home in quite a few ways.
He is really our only neighbor. 

I am not sure when we quit knowing our neighbors.  I know that we cannot care for them if we do not know them.  I am a better man for knowing my neighbor.  One of the things that diminish us as a nation is neglect of those around us. 

I am command by my faith to love my neighbor.  It is essential to my following that I do so.  I cannot hope to be a faithful follower of Christ if I do not care for my neighbor.  Beyond that, I believe that as a nation we are founded on the idea of caring for each other.  We used to do this fairly well.

It seems that one of the things that will right the decline of our culture is to remember how to be neighbors.  The late Fred Rogers understood the value of being good to everyone in a neighborly way.  Sometimes when I am feeling less than neighborly I listen to the theme song from his show. 

Once again the idea of being a good neighbor is one vital to following Christ.   It is also vital to being a good citizen of my town, state, and nation.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous20/2/14 11:28

    I agree. I miss my neighbors from my old neighborhood . They knew I was alone and were kind in so many ways. I never felt alone there. My new neighborhood is the total opposite. No one cares about their neighbor. So when new people moved in next door, I made a point of letting them know, I was there if they needed anything. On Sundays I always drop off a coffee cake for them. They have two teenage boys. It is great to see their smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled you mentioned Mr. Rogers. It probably does not surprise you but he is one of my favorite people. When he died I received phone calls checking on me to see if I heard the news. I was 21 :).

    ReplyDelete