26 February 2014

On America – Laws Based on Morality

Greetings Dear Reader,

Before we set up any straw men or yell that people’s morality is different I want to acknowledge that we cannot legislate morality.  I will not claim to know the answers where the lines blur.  It is difficult to balance things where moral views conflict. 

I consider the situation of the new Arizona law in light of the actual circumstances of the baker involved.  Matt Walsh has written about this far better than I could and an objective reading of his post is beneficial for anyone who is honest.

We need to return to laws being made on the word of the people to their constituents and not on loud voices of any special interest group.  I am increasingly bothered by the screaming and chest pounding from both sides of any issue.  We need to reason together and not shout each other down in anger and disrespect. 

As a conservative Christ follower I am to love and respect everyone.  If I assure that I take responsibility for doing this then I have a better chance of not saying something foolish or unkind.  I hold some very unpopular beliefs but that does not mean that I must harm others in the way I express or live out those beliefs.

We must return to the place where we talk to each other with dignity and respect.  We cannot continue to be run by special interest groups who are loud and unjust.  This happens on both sides of the isle and it is killing our connection as a nation.

Let me be clear about this.  No matter how I feel about homosexuality I must assure that everyone who is gay is treated with love, respect, and kindness.  No matter what my stance is on abortion I must treat those who provide and receive them with compassion and love. 

We cannot legislate someone into faith, morality, or good living.  I cannot influence anyone for Christ if I do not treat them with love and respect.  It is not right for me to refuse love and respect to anyone.  It my responsibility to love everyone.  It may be difficult to know where to stand on the issues but if I show love and respect to everyone I will still find my footing.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment