01 February 2014

Stupid Human Tricks – Guilt

Greetings Dear Reader,

I was raised in an environment that both religiously and socially held guilt in the highest esteem.  Whilst I believe that the feeling of guilt has a proper place in the redemption process, it is neither to be the prime mover nor the whip.

I can recall teachers insisting that I feel the proper depth of guilt over transgressions I had committed.  I can recall being instructed to feel guilty over this or that thing and to let said guilt rule my choices.

It seems to me that the Gospel of Christ teaches the opposite.  The purpose of genuine guilt is to help us see our need for forgiveness and redemption.  It is not to be a chain upon our souls but a motivator toward freedom.  The freedom found in forgiveness is to be the thing that shows us that our guilt had weight.

When I feel guilty I should feel in from within and not from the insistence of and outward source. Genuine guilt leads to conviction and actions of repentance.  This is to be what moves me toward Christ.  The stupid human trick of imposing guilt for the purposes of compliance and the tool of shame are not the nature of the living God.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/2/14 20:53

    I agree totally. Many years ago a loved one sent me a letter, listing all the things I had done wrong over the years.,telling me I needed to apologize. All the feelings of sadness and inadequacy came back. I had done so many things over the years to be abetted person. Guilt was
    Laid upon me. I think my GOD has forgiven me.

    ReplyDelete