27 May 2014

As I Leave Teaching – What we Leave Behind

Greetings Dear Reader,

I know I alluded to this yesterday.  It is one of the things that has kept me at my post long after I felt the road opening to a new way.  The journey calls and I must follow.  The difficulty is there are those whom I leave behind.

There are coworkers who will work on in the lives of students.  The matriculation to graduation process continues.  New students arrive and students complete the course.  I am invested in those who teach them and in the students who learn.

Having move to other schools throughout my career I know this feeling well.  I have no delusion that I am irreplaceable.  I do know that I have knowledge of people’s needs in a way others may not.  This is where the battle against pride and for humility must be waged.

My being there is not what makes students successful.  My being there is not what makes other teachers good.  My presence is not necessary for things to go on as they should.  Do I have influence?  Yes I do have influence. 

That influence, however, is only because God allows it.  It is moving as he leads that assures that my influence may continue in the way he wishes.  As I leave teaching I extend my prayer time for those I leave behind.  I love them all, collectively and individually. 

The other facet of this is that I leave a bit of myself behind.  I have benefited from this time.  I have made friends and connected with souls.  I have learned more about how to be kind.  I have gained a better foothold on obedience over questions.  I have been privileged to see a life or two become richer for the privilege of having counseled, taught, and guided.   

As I leave teaching I leave behind people who are great at what they do and very passionate about it.  I leave behind students who are still in the midst of their educational journey.  They will all remain in my heart and in my prayers.

Hopefully as the journey takes me on another path I leave behind things that are good.  I hope that I leave behind the knowledge that there is no one for whom I do not hold high regard and deep respect. 

The Road Goes Ever On (Parts 1 and 2) – J.R.R. Tolkien

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment