26 May 2014

Second Thoughts – Memorial Day

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

First please be sure that this second thought is not an afterthought.  Those who serve in our military have been on my mind all weekend.  I have friends and family still in the services.  I have been counting all that I have because of the service and sacrifice of others.

It occurred to me all week as I heard people talk about their plans for the long weekend that I heard very little talk about actual Memorial Services.  I heard much about camping, boating, cookouts, and travel.  I heard excitement about the predicted weather and warmth.

I do not think that today needs to be a somber day.  I do think their needs to be more focus on the purpose of the day.  We are still in a war.  We still have veterans of many other wars.  There are still bodies being interred in our national cemeteries. 

We need to be a nation that camps, boats, grills, and travels to celebrate our freedom.  We must, however, remain or maybe return to being a nation that understands the price paid for those activities.  We pay for the party with our dearest blood.

So today I spent some time remembering what it cost for me to have an extra day off work.  I recall what the true cost of Brat Fest is.  I say a prayer of thanks that I can safely travel in my country.  I build in my heart a memorial that I visit whenever I encounter those still in our armed forces.

We must remember how to be thankful lest we forget those who sacrificed all so that we could have everything.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."


No comments:

Post a Comment