23 July 2014

Words out of Fashion – Vulgar

Greetings Dear Reader,

I think that we have completely lost a sense of understanding of this word.  Dictionary.com defines vulgar as:
1.    characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.
2.    indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.
3.    crude; coarse; unrefined.

We live in a culture where that which is vulgar is increasingly acceptable.  It is those who see vulgarity in art, language, and music as acceptable that create an issue.  Words that were once labeled as unacceptable for common use are now overheard by children at the grocery store.

So many things in our music and art celebrate vulgarity.  I am not a prude nor am I trying to tell someone else how to live.  It does bother me greatly that is more acceptable to publicly drop the “F” bomb that it is to talk about Jesus unless you are including him in the vulgarity. 

I am not going to tell someone else how to live.  I do find it offensive that we have lost the respect of those around us in this way.  Vulgarity becomes more acceptable and we celebrate it over things that are good.

This is one of those issues that creeps for me.  I think that if I do not set and maintain a standard that I begin to see things as acceptable that are not.  I must assure that my consumption of art and my use of language are aligned with respect and love for others.  I must guard my tongue so that I do not say things that are offensive.  If I edge toward indecency then one day I will be indecent.  That is not how I wish to be as one who follow Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment