01 March 2017

High Moral Ground ~ Lent: Not Just for Adverting

Greetings Dear Reader,

These forty days of Lent are observed in differing ways in the Christian world.  The discussion about what one “gives up” arises and as was the case yesterday on Jeopardy.  The idea of this is not one we are to advertise.

My Daughter asked me yesterday what I was giving up for Lent.  I reminded her that I do not share what I choose to set aside for a time.  I have, in a couple of instances so that I could have some needed accountability.  The point being that this is to be an internal decision evidenced by a private outward action.

When we sadly report that we cannot enjoy the cake because we have given up sweets we are not serving the spirit of Lent.  The choice is voluntary for the purpose of focusing on faith and following.  We are supposed to rejoice in the moment and replace the indulgence with thoughts of Christ and his love and sacrifice for us.

We have turned it into thing we do as a matter of comparison and conversation.  I must as with all things act in faith.  I must trust that my sacrifice will create moments where I become closer in my understanding of who Christ is.   It is a month of moments to be caught off guard with the opportunity to focus on Jesus instead of whatever want I have replaced with him.

There is the crux of it.  We think we have the moral high ground because we give up soda for Christ when in fact he is supposed to be at the center of everything.  The high moral ground is for me to put Christ first in all things in love and humility.  It is my joy to quietly allow him to create moments where I am reminded of this.  These moments when I encounter that which I have sacrificed can put me in mind of all that was sacrificed for me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/3/17 17:45

    this is a great message to send out, the reminder that it is not a competition. thank you for reminding us to find Him, in those moments of our own denial of stuff, instead of focusing on what we are not having. I like keeping up with your blog, for these good reminders and open perspectives on things. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete