24 March 2017

Loving What We Will Become ~ Aging

Greetings Dear Reader,

This past year I have seen some significant changes in my physical well-being.  Nothing is terribly alarming and the process of aging is one that I cannot avoid.  Still, there are losses to account for and I must prepare my heart to endure them properly.

We all grow older.  I know where I wish to get to but even today is not guaranteed.  Still I see so often that people lament the challenges of aging instead of finding a way to love who they become.  “Days go colder.  Children get older.  I’m getting older too.” 

The thing is that I often get told that I appear younger than I am.  I have to admit that I like it.  That is just my pride, however.   I feel a stiffness growing in some of my joints that belies that youthful appearance. 

Will I be wiser when I am old?  I hope to be but then again it is unwise to think of oneself as wise.   It is like humility.  The moment you claim to have it you have lost it.  I do wish to be wise. 

I also see that I must love that even though I age I may run out of time to reach my dreams.  I am accepting that some of them only have wisps of hope left in them.  They tatter and fade as the days run through the glass.  Each spring brings the reminder that winter has taken a toll and that I have less to build with than when the leaves fell.

Again it is not that I hate these things but rather that I must in reality love what unfolds if I am to fully love always.  I can work against those things I may mitigate.  I must, however, accept those things that are the essence of the unfolding years.

The point of a journey is that it has an end.  Most destinations are the goal.   We anticipate and long for the place we are heading.  This journey of life is one that we fight to prolong with all that we have.  As I age I must love what I become to fend off the bitterness and acrimony of the journey’s end.   Instead I must anticipate the adventure of that undiscovered country with faith and hope.  That you see is when I will truly become.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment