16 April 2019

Holy Week 2019 ~ Where is the Love? Oil and Tears

Greetings Dear Reader,

On the first warm day of Spring this year, I went on a long walk on a dusty trail.  I wore my very sturdy and protective Kean sandals.  They have good traction on most surfaces, are comfortable, and breathe.  It is also important to note that they are sandals. 

Upon arriving back at my place, I slipped off the sandals intending to put on my house shoes.  I noticed how dirty my feet were.  The dust of the path and sweat on my feet had joined to form a rather stubborn crusty dirt where the spaces were between the sandal straps.  It took some real washing to get off the dried dirt.  It made what follows so clear to me.

It is not clear if it was Monday or Tuesday of Holy Week, but it is still vital to our observance.  A woman who fully embraces what Jesus represents comes to the dinner at the house of Simon, a nobleman.  She uses her tears of joy and sorrow to wet Jesus’ feet.  Then tries his feet with her own hair.  She uses expensive perfume to anoint his cleansed feet.

The nobleman who was honor-bound to have the feet of his guests washed allows there to be criticism.  The holy men rebuke the GOD-man for allowing a sinner to touch him.  The disciples and not just Judas worry about the cost of the nard.  It seems that no one in the room but the woman gets what is going on in Jerusalem this week.

Where is the love?  It is in the woman who may or may not be Mary Magdalene, so overcome by grief and joy that she acts as the lowest servant to prepare her Master for burial.  She cleans the feet that will walk to Golgotha in a few days.  She weeps tears on the place where the long iron spike will fasten him to the rough wood. 

The love she shows is vast and beautiful.  The judgment poured on her as she pours the oil is so far from love.  The other men see only the woman’s sinful past.  They see something they view as too intimate.  They hold out judgment over love and honest understanding.  So do we Dear Reader.

If we saw this, we would know to accept it because we know the story.  How often, however, do we judge others who do not know the social customs of a situation.  We will judge those who come to church but do not dress the way we think people should dress for church.  We look down on those who only come on Resurrection Sunday.  Ironically, we also look down on those who usually come on every week, but do not show up for Resurrection Sunday.

Judging the sin of others is not an act of love.  It is the opposite of it.  If someone has the courage to seek Jesus at any level, we must accept them as they come.  The only way we find Jesus is to seek him.  We must set aside our social mores and customs to see that we show the love of Christ as the foundation of welcoming those who need him.  It may mean you have to hug a sinner or two Dear Reader.  Jesus is about to open his arms to embrace the whole world.  We dare not reject anyone he loves.  In case it is not clear, Jesus loves everyone, every human ever.


The alabaster case of oil is open
And washing the feet of Jesus
The sweet perfume is poured
I am like the cask I must be broken
So from my heart will flow
A life unto my Lord

Father break me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

I saw myself as only drifting
Lost upon the waters
Sinking like a stone
Then your tide washed around me
I was lifted
If I follow the morning star
I’ll be sailing home

Father break me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment