10 April 2019

Second Thoughts ~ Feets’ Rugs

Greetings Dear Reader,

The other evening my youngest niece was visiting my apartment with her siblings to help do some Spring cleaning.  We were talking about why we call both the going up and going down conveyance and “escalator”.  The one that goes up escalates but the one that goes down, de-escalates.  It is important to know that I have a bath mat in front of my dresser as well as one in front of my bathroom sink and in front of the shower.  I do not have carpet on most of the floor so this is important.

My niece, aged five, was sweeping the floor and stopped at the rug in front of the dresser.  She looked up at me with her hands on her hips.  She asked, “Why do you have a feets’ rug in here?”

I explained that I stood here when I was getting dressed before I put on my socks or my sandals.  She was not having any of it.  She put down the broom and walked into my bathroom.  From there she called, “Come here, Uncle Aramis.  We need to talk about something.”  She did this in her high, sing-song voice that is intended to command.

I walked the few paces to the bathroom and looked at her.  “You have a feets’ rug in front of the sink AND you have a feets’ rug in front of the shower.  You have three feets’ rugs.  You are not allowed to have three feets’ rugs.  They are only for in front of the shower.”

I stood there a moment watching the exasperated child draw in her breath.  She crossed her arms and asked, “What are you going to do about this Uncle Aramis.”

At this point, I am barely containing my laughter.  I can also see that she is serious.  Gently I say, “I am going to leave them where they are because I use all three.” 

“Uncle Aramis,” she shouts, “you cannot have three feets’ rugs.  There are people in the world with no feets’ rugs and if they had one, they would keep it in the bathroom like they are supposed to.”

I was blown away at her concern for people without feets’ rugs.  I was also not going to give up my feets’ rugs.  I offered a compromise.  “If you meet someone without a feets’ rug, I will give them a feets’ rug.”

“OK,” she agrees, “but you had better not get any more feets’ rugs.”

Her indignation did not subside for quite a bit.  She kept looking at the offending feets’ rug as if it had somehow caused the problem.  When she left, after being paid for her help, I pondered her heart in caring about others not having a feets’ rug.  I was thankful for her caring tender heart.  I would never have thought about someone needing a feets’ rug. 

I think we all need to remember what looks like simple practicality to us can look like abundance to others or even opulence.  My apartment is much cleaner.  I appreciate my feets’ rugs more.  I also learned a valuable lesson about having Dear Reader.  Oh, and the new official name of the down escalator (that is an oxymoron by the way) is a “descalator.”  
 
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment