26 January 2016

On Leisure Pursuits – Intentional Rest

Greetings Dear Reader,

Since creation the Father has considered rest important.   When he rested after creation the word used to describe it is the same word from which we get Sabbath and sabbatical.  Rest is designed into the Law of Moses. It was a part of Christ’s weekly life. 

The idea of rest here is to cease from work.  It is important that rest is not doing something as opposed to doing something.  It can be better explained as I am not working instead of I am resting.  It is intentional refraining from work or intentional rest.

In our culture it is expected that we take work home with us.  I have coworkers that work every day.   In my years as a professor I did work outside of work almost every night.   If you do not think almost every teacher does this you are deluded.  I have friends who put in long hours at work and are still spinning late in the evening at home.  

As a writer I have to make sure that there are times when I do not sit down and begin to spin out lines.  I can get distracted by ideas and inspiration.   I must discipline my life to capture the idea but then return to whatever pursuit in which I am involved out of respect for my fellow travelers. 

I must also never assume that it is proper to impede on others when I work.  I must not assume that I when choose to work late that I can involve others without consideration for their needs.   When I supervise others it is my obligation to consider their time and need for rest.    

We are created to rest.  We are created to keep this in balance with our other pursuits.  I must assure that I focus on intentional rest.  I must not allow worry and circumstance to keep me from the rest the recharges me for the next day or the coming week.  I do not live under the law but the practice of intentional rest does make me a better follower. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment