12 January 2016

Sorry Is Not Good Enough – We Need Forgiveness

Greetings Dear Reader,

 I see the depth to which this is disappearing in our culture.   We do not see the need to ask forgiveness from others.  We think we can dismiss the wrongs we do by saying, “I’m sorry.”  Even in that though, we often do not feel genuine sorrow over our sin.

When I hurt or wrong someone unintentionally I still need to ask for forgiveness.   The request for forgiveness has a power that saying sorry will never have.  It is a transfer of power.  It is an act of humility.  It is vital to healing the damage that we inflict with or without malice or intent.

I must not fall into the trap of a dismissive expression when I have hurt others.   I must not feel that I can be free of guilt if I do not humbly request forgiveness.  I must always ask for genuine forgiveness and allow the other person to choose.  I must feel genuine sorrow over my sin against others.  If I deny this then I am a liar.

I must also realize that this is one of the few things I can do as a Christ follower that Jesus did not need to do.  Christ has the power to forgive all sin but never had to seek forgiveness for sin.  In seeking forgiveness from others I get to follow in one of the few ways that he did not lead.

I must do all that I can to live at peace with others.  This includes assuring that I seek forgiveness when necessary.  It includes embracing the humility necessary for this.  Perhaps as important as saying “I love you.” Is the power to say “Will you forgive me?”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment