18 January 2016

Sensitivity Training – Political Stuff

Greetings Dear Reader,

It seems like election season has become a four year process instead of one for the year of the election.   One would think that with the season being so long that politicians would become an endangered species.  Instead they seem to breed like rabbits; the sharp pointy teeth kind of rabbits.

Everyone has a political opinion.   Some share them more frequently, vociferously, and energetically than others.  Across the entire political spectrum there are individuals with strong feelings and opinions.  Even among committed and serious Christ followers there exists honest disagreement on important issues.

This is where serious sensitivity training is required.  I am free to have all the opinions, stands, and leanings I wish.  There must be serious filters on how I use and communicate those positions.   There are a few purposes to those filters.

My first duty is to the great commandments.  My political leanings, my voting, and my communication about politics must all adhere to these two commandments.  If my position does not reflect an all-encompassing love for God and sacrificial love for my neighbor then I am in error. 

I may not politicize my faith.  Rather my politics must always be subject to my faith.  If I follow the two great commandments then I will be right in my politics.  Being right in my politics and following Christ means that I must not be arrogant, angry, or aggressive in any discussion of the matters. 

If I am motivated by love then I will be kind and tenderhearted.  When it comes to politics then I will have no enemies.  Politics are something shared by a common people. That means they are my neighbors.  So I cannot have political enemies.  Again it comes back to loving my neighbors.  It always comes back to loving someone: God, neighbors, or enemies.

There are issues about which I feel very strongly.  That does not give me lease to impose my feelings on others.  I must work.  I must show love and devotion to what is right with all my heart.  I must also be kind and sensitive that those who oppose my views may do so with the same feeling of Christ centered conviction.  I must put our relationship in Christ above all political position. 

It is love that crushes barriers.  It is love that is the great equalizer.  I will focus on that and see to the rest within its framework.  It is the only thing that endures.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment