14 January 2016

Second Thoughts – Absent Friends

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

When Death visits unannounced and unexpected he is almost always unwelcome.  No matter what we believe about the situation of the departed we are left behind in pain, shock, and turmoil.  A fragmented world still places its demands on our presence. 

At the end of the year I lost a friend.  His passing was sudden and intrusive.  In our minds it was also too soon.  The last time I saw Jason he aided me with both his skills and his friendship.  He was kind and gave me his very best.  We agreed to meet for lunch or dinner at some time in January.  He had just begun a new job and wished to catch up.

Jason was a former student who made the transition from that role to friend.   His passion for learner is the kind that makes any teacher proud.  His passion for excellence made him great at the things he undertook as both a student and a human.  I saw him often infect others with this passion and guide them to be better for it.

Other students immediately contacted me to assure that I did not find out in a random manner that I had lost my friend.  I was unable to get free of other obligations to attend his services.  I am unsure how to help his family but I desire to do so.  This is one of those losses for which I have no mantle on which to rest my thoughts.

I am diminished.  Every man’s death diminishes me but some more than others.   Later I will raise a glass to my friend.  When I gather with others who taught him we will speak well of him and drink to him as well.  I will try to comfort the others students.  That particular group shared a closeness that few achieve. 

I cannot fill this void but I can assure that when I come upon it that I remember the man well.  I can give these words to provide a spark of memory for those who knew Jason.  As I said every time we spoke, “I love you friend.  You matter to me.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment