23 January 2016

Second Thoughts – What to Hoard in a Storm

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Whilst the East Coast is in the throes of a record setting winter storm I have been entertained by watching my Southern friends and family respond to the event.  I have seen pictures posted of the snow and the jokes about “running to the store for bread and milk.”  Also in demand when expecting snow can be eggs and toilet paper. 

This reminds me of a winter ice storm in Atlanta when I was much younger.  We lost power and heat.  We spent almost a week with a friend who had both.  I remember we brought bread and milk with us.  We had some excellent French toast.   The current situation makes me wonder what one hoards during other types of extreme weather.

One of the highway warning sings call for LIZARD conditions.  My friend Robin was curious about this so I suggested she needed to run to the store for onions and prune juice.  I have seen it rain frogs when I lived in Florida. Perhaps this is similar. Of course if it rains frogs you need to buy pears and kefir.

For tornado shelters one primarily needs to stock up on good snacks and digital entertainment.  A weather radio might be a good idea too.  I am not sure there is a proper prescription for tidal waves other than RUN.  Another aspect of storm hoarding is taking on enough salt or plywood as the weather condition proscribes.

In hurricanes they suggest stocking up on fresh water.  I prefer large quantities of the following whilst riding out a tropical storm:

Vodka
Grenadine syrup
Gin
Light rum
151 rum
Amaretto almond liqueur
Triple sec
Grapefruit juice
Pineapple juice

Volcano eruptions provide the opportunity for many kinds of weather all at once.  I do recommend observing them from a safe distance, in a shelter, on a video feed.  Hot lava and ashes tend to mess up the hair.  You may hoard whatever piques one’s fancy.

Whatever your weather challenge it is “your” weather challenge.  I care that you are besieged by a storm.  I promise not to mock you for buying bread or prune juice.  I will offer this.  God never gets the weather wrong.  Ride it out and enjoy the change.  Stay safe and do not give in to the temptation to do stupid things.  Snow is always beautiful to me even when it is in my way.

Let it Snow – Dean Martin

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we’ve no place to go
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

It doesn’t show signs of stopping
And I’ve bought some corn for popping
The lights are turned way down low
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

When we finally kiss goodnight
How I’ll hate going out in the storm
But if you’ll really hold me tight
All the way home I’ll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
And my dear, we’re still good-bying
As long as you love me so
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

When we finally kiss goodnight
How I’ll hate going out in the storm
But if you’ll really hold me tight
All the way home I’ll be warm

The fire is slowly dying
And my dear, we’re still good-bying
As long as you love me so
Let it snow (let it snow)
Let it snow (let it snow)
Let it snow (let it snow)

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment