29 January 2016

On Leisure Pursuits – Focused Relaxation

Greetings Dear Reader,

Relaxation is defined as an easing of tension or anxiousness.  Since Christ followers are not to be anxious over anything it seems that one should be relaxed most of the time.  This is not the case.  We become anxious and tense over many things both serous and mundane. 

This means that one must focus on being relaxed.  Worry and tension must be intentionally purged.  Our need is further than that though.   It is not enough to release tension.   We must at times truly do nothing.  We must push away even thinking about the things that plague us.

We employ many things to turn off our thinking.   Some of those things are unhealthy.  We indulge in excesses to deal with worry and tension.  This leads to many maladies that in turn increase worry and tension. 

Another form of failure to relax is when we deny our tension.  We avoid and bury problems that make us anxious.  This leads to short tempers, excesses, and failure to be as good to others as we should. 

I must seek focused relaxation.  I must not carry worry and anxiety intentionally.   Further I must assure that I do not use my tension as an excuse to be unkind or impatient.  If I am to follow Christ with my whole heart I must create space for focused relaxation that seeks calm and serenity.  I must become an instrument of peace.

Prayer of Saint Francis – Sarah McLachlan

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment