29 July 2017

Eight Ball Answers ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I was very young I received a Magic 8-Ball® as a Christmas gift.  For those unfamiliar with this toy it is a softball-sized 8-ball filled with alcohol, blue dye, and an icosahedral (20 sided) die.   I was still a few years away from knowing how much importance icosahedral dice would play in my future but that is another tale for another time.

The Magic 8-ball has answers that are positive, neutral, and negative written on the faces of the icosahedral die.  One holds the ball window down, asks the question, and inverts the ball so the window faces up.  The ball slowly swims up through the murky liquid revealing one of the twenty answers inscribed on the die faces.  The answers are:

 It is certain
 It is decidedly so   
 Without a doubt
 Yes definitely
 You may rely on it
 As I see it, yes
 Most likely
 Outlook good
 Yes
 Signs point to yes
 Reply hazy try again
 Ask again later
 Better not tell you now
 Cannot predict now
 Concentrate and ask again
 Don't count on it
 My reply is no
 My sources say no
 Outlook not so good
 Very doubtful                    

One might ask what a divination toy has to do with following Christ.  There are answers and there is an answer.  Questions come to us every day.  Some are easy and some are taxing.  I would never relegate important things in life to chance.  Then again I do not always know what to do when faced with demanding choices.

I want to ponder the answers offered by the Magic 8-Ball.   I do this for a couple of reasons that will be light hearted and for a deeper reason that I will discuss later.  For now Dear Reader, I wish to invite you to join me as we look at the possible answers and their ramifications.  If you need to consult your Magic 8-Ball before deciding feel free to do so.  I will wait a moment.  If you are joining you may be wondering if this will be a good use of your time.  All signs point to yes.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment