14 July 2017

Second Thoughts – Crema Cafe

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Crema Café is a simple but by no means simplistic eatery on Madison’s East Side.  Literally a scone’s throw from lake Monona it is almost hidden by the small strip mall in which it resides.  It is, however, worth finding.

I love trying new diners and cafés.  I did not venture to this one accidentally.  A former student works here and we wanted to reconnect.  I brought my Daughter for a Sunday brunch a few weeks ago.  I was pleased to see my student again but was also surprised by the reasonably priced high quality fare.

I chose the Killer Scramble (smoked salmon, sautéed leeks, local goat cheese, 3 eggs w/ toast and petite salad).   I did not inquire as to whether the actual goat or its cheese was local.  I was too taken by the excellent portion and quality balance of the food.  Smoked salmon can overpower a dish but not in this case.  It was rich and sweet to a perfect complement of the goat cheese.  The leeks were properly sautéed and rendered their flavor to harmonize with the dish, 

My Daughter chose the Breakfast Sandwich (Fried egg, local smoked bacon, cheddar-herb cream cheese, and frisée on ciabatta).  Her palate is much harder to please than mine but she found it wonderful.  She liked it enough that she had the same thing on our second visit.

The atmosphere is relaxed.  They offer sidewalk seating when the weather allows.  Tea and coffee are abundant in quantity and variety.  The staff is friendly and energetic.  It is very busy on weekend mornings but I also chose to linger whilst writing on a weekday.  It was made clear that I could sit as long as I wished.  

I urge you to try this hidden gem. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment