08 July 2017

Freedom ~ Commitment

Greetings Dear Reader,

I wonder if we truly understand the nature of commitment.  When I make a commitment I am giving up a piece of my freedom.  This is why it needs to be voluntary and fully reasoned.  When I choose to give my word on something then I must not think that I am free to do as I wish.

Our society, including me, does not always see this as clearly as it should.  I have worked hard to become someone who does what he says he will do.  It is not a little thing to fail at this even in little things.  I am not speaking of implied consent or unjust expectations of others.  My only concern is with the things we say that we do not do.

My friend Tina recently asked for regular prayer for a new situation that is challenging her experience and comfort.  I told her I would pray for her.  I put my favorite picture of her in a place where I see it daily so that I remember to pray for her needs.  Too often we tell others we will support them and we fail to do it.

It is too easy to say we will do something small and forget about it in the next moment.  It is too common to make big commitments and abandon them when it gets hard to keep them.  If I cannot fulfill something I must not commit to it. 

It is damaging to the fabric of who we are to think that once we have committed to something that we are free to do otherwise.  When I commit to something I give up my freedom to choose what to do.  I may appeal if circumstances change.  I may even ask to be released from my commitment.   My heart, however, must be focused on committing only to things that I can do and then doing them with all my ability. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment