13 August 2017

Second Thoughts – One Small Thing

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

Because staying in my small abode alone is unhealthy for me I have taken to spending one morning a week writing in a coffee shop.  I have a couple of favorites but both have the same need.  By nature coffee shops have limited seating and even fewer seats with access to power points. 

My tenure at these busy purveyors of caffeine and cream is usually a few hours.  The seats that offer readily available electricity all have tables that seat four or more.  I feel guilty taking up the space when all I am doing is drinking lemon ginger tea and working away at my next tale. 

Then I stumbled upon an idea.  With the manager’s permission and assistance I made up my little sign.  It simply says, “Feel free to share my table.”  I place it behind my laptop and focus on my work.  No has joined me yet.

There has been, however, a stream of comments about it.  At least once each visit someone will comment how thoughtful the sign is.  I know it makes the owner happy.   Then there are the curious.  There are people who actually ask if I am serious.  I assure them that I am but they move on to another table.

The most curious are those who notice and feel the need to apologize to me.  They explain that they are meeting other people or need to sit outside.  I try to reassure them that I am not offended and thank them for saying hi.  It is just curious that they are worried about me being bothered by their not sitting with me. 

It reminds me that I live in a society where offense is so easily manifested and sometimes even sought.  It reminds me that the motorways and footpaths of my town are paved in eggshells. 

I must remain difficult to offend.  I must assure that I remain open to the company of strangers. I must be considerate of the business owners to whom I give my custom.  It is vital that I am aware of the needs of all those with whom I congress.  If I am to follow Christ well I must remain approachable and available; generous and kind.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment