12 August 2017

Eight Ball Answers ~ Most Likely

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of you asked me yesterday if I was just shaking the Magic 8-Ball® and writing about the answer that came up to the surface.  I am not.  I am going in a very specific order.  I did repeat one answer.  I will leave it to you, Dear Reader, to discern why.  I think I know who will most likely sus it out.

That brings us to today’s ponderance.  When I ask a question that is a yes or no question and someone says most likely, I always feel that the question is being avoided.  That does not mean that it is true but that is how it feels to me. 

Most likely implies yes but does not assure it.  It is left to the hearer to infer the degree to which the person is affirming.   It is a loophole for the person giving the answer.  It is easy to slip out of the apparent assertion by simply pointing out the it was likely but not confirmed. 

The difficulty with leaving oneself a back door is that one is not being honest.  It is not wanting to commit to something but wishing to appear that we are committing.   This response can take other forms such as “we could do that”, “that sounds good”, or “that’s a great idea”. 

These are not affirmative answers.  They are simple diversions intended to make one think that there is agreement.  Using this to manipulate a situation is not right for me.  If I am unsure I must say so.  If I am reticent to agree I should not make one believe that I do just to keep favor.  It is my obligation to speak the truth in love.  That is enough.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment