24 August 2017

Captains Courageous - Racism

Greetings Dear Reader,

“If there is one ideal that the Federation holds most dear, it is that all men, all races can be united.” – Captain Picard, Nemesis 

It troubles me greatly to see how blatant racial hatred has continued to emerge in our nation.  It is wrong to think less of anyone based on physiological characteristics.  We struggle with this because we have inherited some kind of division from our forebears.  Past wrongs inform actions that treat others with disrespect or even hatred just because of the way DNA lines up.

In an enlightened society this is simply stupid.  I do not use that word much in my writing because I do not like it.  Still, to disregard someone in any manner simply because of his or her DNA speaks to ignorance, hatred, and evil.  It speaks to choices made out of disregard for intelligence and common sense.

It troubles me even more that some of those voicing racial hatred claim to follow Christ.  The two cannot be more divergent.  Following Christ is centered on loving everyone no matter how deplorable you may think they are.  This means that true Christ followers must even love those who spew filthy hatred in the name God.

I do not have to support them, agree with them, or give value to their words.  I do have to love them.  This is perhaps at the core of the ideal of uniting all people.  You will see many messages of unity that are filled with hatred and prejudice.  You will hear a few that ask us to unite under the common bond of love for all life. 

We can only do this if it is inclusive.  I am proud of my children.  They are not racist.  When they were young they were never allowed to describe people to me by race.  They had to tell me who their friends were by charter and qualities of the individual.  Both of them excel at seeing people as people.

I cannot follow Christ if I allow or participate in hatred of any kind.  The most foolish kind may be disregarding anyone at any level because of his or her DNA.  We can be united but only under the banner of love that embraces all life as precious and valued.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment